Tuesday 8 January 2013

God's Prefect Provision

Today we have started back school, after the winter break.  I love my winter break.  Who says breaks are for the CHILDREN!? I certainly feel I need the break, every time one comes around.

I especially felt I needed the break this winter.  We had just come through a looooong month, with illness after illness.  God gave me much grace and strength, to deal with one child after another being unwell (with my own illness thrown in for good measure!).  It was lovely to have our break, with us all having reasonably good health for the most part.  Relaxing.  Having meals cooked for me. (ALWAYS an enormous treat...)

But then, we hit the middle of last week, and I was unwell....again.  Muscle aches.  Headache.  Head cold.  Hot and cold flushes.  Next came a rash.  Hot and itchy.  Then yesterday, the worst hit.  I had swelling and pains in my joints (mostly my wrists and knees), like I have never had before.  I could barely use my hands by the evening.  I tried to turn my hands over to hold a tray, and I couldn't, because they were so sore and stiff.  I couldn't imagine being able to start school today with much enthusiasm or ease.

But, God is SO good.

I shared on Facebook about my pains, as well as asking for prayer from my family.  Prayers were sent up from others, as well as from myself, and I went to bed praying that I would feel well enough by the morning.

I woke early, wanting to get back into my early morning devotions, and the PAINS WERE VIRTUALLY GONE!  I could hardly believe it.  Why should I have even doubted God's ability as Jehovah-rophi.  The Lord that heals.

As is so often the case, the Lord then doubly blessed me, by teaching me something through my Bible reading for today.  I was back in Joshua, at chapters 5-7.



  "And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year."
Joshua 5:12


As they entered into the promised land, the provision of the manna ceased, and they once again ate "real" food.  

Do you see what they ate?  They ate the "old corn of the land".  It is thought that this may have been the corn that was saved in the barns, by those in Canaan, which they would have used when the seasonal crops were ended.  They had it stored there for when they needed it, but as they fled from the coming Israelites, the barns would have been abandoned.  The fact that they found this abandoned food was an amazing blessing!  And, the moment they found something new, the manna ceased. 

If you read in verse 11, you will see what else they did. They kept the passover and ate unleavened cakes. Whilst they were wandering in the wilderness, all they had was manna and quails.  They couldn't fully keep the passover, nor where they able to keep the feast of unleavened bread, whilst they were wandering in the wilderness.  But now, with their plundered "bounty", which to some may have still seemed meagre and paltry, they were able to fulfil the feast, established by the Lord in the wilderness.  Apart from anything else, it must have tasted wonderful after 40 years of the same thing every day! 

The Lord was continuing to meet their need for food - no longer in the miraculous way, as in the wilderness, but still a wonderful provision no less.

It thrilled my heart this morning.  Why?

Well, the Lord answered my prayers of last night in a truly miraculous way this morning.  My pains are nearly 100% gone, and I feel SO much better.  It was my "manna" provision.  My needs were met in a way that only God could do for me. 

Not only that,  I have had my other needs met as well.  The prayer for a good start to our new school term - that was answered by my improvement in health and spirits, and is going well (so far....).

The, there are the other basic needs.  The day to day needs that He always supplies for me, in not-so-obviously-miraculous ways.  But, GOD'S PROVISION none-the-less.  Isn't it easy to see God in the miracles, and forget that in the day to day, and more "ordinary" provisions, HE is still the great provider. 

As the Israelites entered the promised land, their food would be gathered in a more ordinary way, but it was no less God's provision for them.  


"God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;"
I Timothy 6:17



 We need to remember that all that we have comes from God.  He provides for us in the little ways, as well as the big ways - EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

Today I am thankful for my now pain-free joints.  As well as that, I am also thankful for all the provisions that God makes for me EVERY day.


When all thy mercies, O my God,
my rising soul surveys,
transported with the view, I'm lost
in wonder, love and praise.

Ten thousand thousand precious gifts
my daily thanks employ;
nor is the last a cheerful heart
that tastes those gifts with joy.

Through all eternity to thee
a joyful song I'll raise;
for, oh, eternity's too short
to utter all thy praise!

(Joseph Addison)




1 comment :

  1. Love it, Caroline. Recently, I have become SO aware of God answering the prayers of my precious sisters in Christ regarding some of my needs.

    And I love that section in Joshua where it says, 'And I have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat.'

    All we have are His gifts to us - not earned, but gifted. Oh, what a God we serve!
    A x

    ReplyDelete